Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Don't Even Know What To Call This One

I last blogged last Tuesday - Wednesday mom crashed. Bad. In 24 hours she went from walking on her walker, to wheelchair bound, to bedridden.

Thursday morning I called the nurse, family and close friends to say I thought the end was within days. She was pale and clammy, had shallow breaths, was not eating, could barely talk and did not have the strength to even sit up.

She was fading, I was a mess. She could not swallow pills and I had to put drops of her pain medication in her mouth. The Hospice nurse came over and took her vitals and said it was time to prepare myself for the end, though mom was not 'actively' dying at that moment. A chaplain called. Some close friends stayed with me throughout the day.. I could not have done it alone - Thank you Robert, Randy & Elaina.

The Hospice nurse suggested a diaper or catheter (she already has a colostomy bag for the other). I wanted her to go with dignity, I said she wouldn't want them. She was able to tell Randy she didn't want them either. She was taking a medication to relieve edema (swelling in the legs) and it makes her pee. The nurse said stop taking it. We did.

Friday came, and she was still bedridden, but a bit more 'with it'. She was not in much pain, just tired. Very tired. We had to lift her in and out of bed to put her on the commode to pee. Mom is 120+ pounds, so it is a two person job when she can't bear any of her own weight.

I don't know what happened Saturday, but she got a burst of energy. She could sit up, wanted to eat (albeit just a few bites here and there), and wanted to be wheeled outside to smoke. I don't have children of my own, but now I understand what it may be like to have a newborn child. A really big one. That smokes. Her legs were really swollen, and she wanted to take her edema medication. She was able to swallow pills again, so she did. (Remember, it makes you pee. A lot.)

Sunday was much of the same, she was bed-bound, but stable. I was running around and unstable. Luckily, my husband was here, and on Sunday he took care of mom's failing health and my failing emotions. I hurt my back with all of the lifting. Hubby was the lifter Sunday. He also lifted my spirits. Thanks Francis.

On Monday we knew there had to be a change. I could no longer pick her up so many times throughout the day to put her on the toilet. It was hard on her, and hard on me. By this time she could stand on her own for a few wobbly seconds, but it was getting her up and down. So, we revisited the catheter option. Mom agreed, it was time. She says it makes her feel like she has to pee all the time, but it is not that uncomfortable. This morning she said she was glad she did it. She is getting more rest now.

I took a few days off during this time and went back to work today. I did the morning show, and came home for the changing of the caretaker so Francis could go to work. I had not been outside of the house, not counting the porch, in six days. It was good to be out.

I will end this here without a snappy ending because there is no ending.

But I have realized what if really feels like to think the end is here for someone you love and is suffering, and sometimes a catheter is necessary. Yeah.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    I have been following your blog for a while now and have never had strength to post a message of support for you and your family. I started reading your blog while my brother was fighting same cancer like your mother (I even hate to say what kind since I have read and said those dreadful words too many times over the last two years). My brother passed away on june 11th and I thought I was ready for this ( silly me ).
    I was informed of all symptoms, know them all by heart, and I have read many books about grieving process, and what to do when you loose your loved one. My brother lived overseas and after initial diagnosis ( late stage 4 CRC ) two years ago, I spent 3 months on personal leave in pursuit for someone to attempt treatment. With enormous help of my sister, we got someone who treated him and he
    bounced back in an incredible way. After that, it was daily phone calls for my sister and I in support of him and his family. We knew the prognosis, he did not want to know and believed that he could beat it.
    He lived, to the day, for 2 years from the initial diagnosis. He ended up
    in bed, not being able to move for the last 5 days of his life, surrounded by his family and my parents. I feel your pain about the catheter and the "water pills". It hurts insanely to think what your loved one is going through but it is also great deal of pain for the family members. My brother passed away in my Dad's arms, and it takes the strength and selflessness of the parent to go through something like that. The pain after he passed have changed it shape, if I may say. It transitioned. It used to be agonizing pain wondering about what he was doing, thinking, feeling etc., and still dealing with my own emotions. Now, that he is at peace, I have "only" my own pain to deal with. It's different.
    I used to wonder, watching someone who lost their loved one, how is it possible to smile and laugh again? I envied them, they seem to me as if they have transitioned with their loved one into some new state of mind. They "crossed over" somehow. I know now. The wound is still very fresh and bleeding, but I know myself, I'll figure it out eventually, as long as I know that there is no more chemo, no more morphine, no more swelling and confusion, no more catheters, no more......
    May you have all the strength you need in the times to come.

    Lana Oppen,
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily.. hope you dont mind me lurking and actively reading your blog.. I lost my husband to cancer in 1986 and reading about the book Hospice gave you certainly brought back memories. I have to say that those final days were awful & I felt guilty for wanting him to go just because of all the pain he was in.. He was only 29 when he passed away in dec of 86.. but at the same time when he did pass I felt relief.. I did so much grieving before he died and yet there was still so much to do afterwards... I still miss Terry so much.. I think of all things we never got to do.. have children..and grow old together. You will get through this.. sometimes you have to take it one second, one hour, one day a at time.. don't worry about being strong..you are doing a wonderful job taking care of your mom. Even if what your are doing is hard.. you will not regret your caretaking of your mom...

    Debbie
    Anchorage Alaska

    ReplyDelete