Monday, June 15, 2009

Dazed and Confused

Mom's body is fading, but her mind has been sharp, up until today.

We had her first 'confusion' episode. It happened this afternoon.

I was laying down because I had a blasting headache. I heard the clink, roll, clink, roll sound of mom's walker, but didn't think much about it. My husband happened to come home just then. He came into the room and woke me up out of my half-sleep.

"Your mom is confused and walking in circles," he said.

Since she hasn't shown any signs of confusion before, I thought he was the one who was confused.

"She's fine, I'm sure. Besides, she could use the exercise," I said.

Yeah. Bad, bad daughter.

I later found out that Francis went back out and guided her back to reality, and the couch. Good, good son-in-law.

Tonight she told me she wasn't afraid, she knew she was confused and it was just annoying. Where is it coming from? Liver/colon cancer isn't supposed to do this. It kills the body, not the mind. This confuses me.

Now I will keep a closer ear out for aimless walker sounds, and keep a closer eye on her mental state.

Oh yeah, and I'll try to be a better daughter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    Its just great to hear that your Mother is still up and on her feet (even if she's walking in circles!). I spent a few hours today visiting a neighbor of mine that has just been put on hospice care. Unfortunately she has several medical problems. It was amazing to see how much she has changed just since March. She is now unable to stand or walk. Seeing her brought back so many heart breaking memories of my Mother. Your Mother is very fortunate to still be able to move around on her own, she must be one "tough cookie"!

    And you don't have to "try" to be a better daughter....you are already a GREAT daughter!!
    Best wishes to you and your Mother...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emily....
    Just wanted to send you my love. I too took care of my terminally ill mother but I was all alone with no help except for the 2 hours aweek that hospice got to stop by. We lived in the mountains of upstate New York so you see it was very lonely. Keep your prayers going not only for her but for your strength. Its not an easy thing to deal to start but when its your mother, all I can say is ... I will pray for you both....

    ReplyDelete