Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mums the Word When it Comes to Mom

Mom lied to me.

My husband and I spent two nights away on a much-needed mini-vacation. Mom has a friend who is a registered nurse and she came to the house and stayed one night. Our close friends Robert and Randy called and checked on mom.

While I was away she told me she was fine. She sounded fine. She also told our friends she was fine as well.

When I got home I found mom was not fine. She was, and is, very weak and can hardly eat. I understand she didn't want me to worry, and didn't want to impose on our friends, but I wish she had.

When I asked her why she wasn't honest about her condition, she replied, "There's nothing anyone can do anyway."

I guess she's right, but it is my right as a daughter to share the burden of her pain.


This afternoon she got stuck lying down on the couch and couldn't get up without my help. She didn't eat the peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwich I made her, either. I know what you are thinking, but that's what she likes and what she asked for.

She doesn't have a fever, and the thrush is nearly gone. This time it's weakness, stomach pain and pain when she breathes deep. Always something new and exciting.

For mom, there will be no walks for now, no going to the store. But when she eats the sandwich I know she will be feeling better. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment