Monday, February 23, 2009

"What to Expect When You are Expecting Terminal Cancer"

OK, there is a death manual. Sort of.

When my mom was in the hospital in November after we had "Avery" removed, she went on hospice right away (a good move, might I add). A hospice counselor came to the hospital room and handed me a white folder.

I thought it was a bit soon to be planning for her death. I mean, I knew she was terminal, not that terminal. Anyway, the hospice folder was weird. It was kind of a "Dying for Idiots" guide. The white folder that contained a variety of material, from a list of support groups to how not to blow yourself up with oxygen in the house to, well, some other stuff I knew would be kinda hard to read. I noticed the ominous juxtaposition of some of those titles, such as the "Hospice… it's all about living," pamphlet, which, ironically ,was placed neatly in front of the "Newspaper Obituary Worksheet".

Hmmm, which should I read first? I started with the crappy, sad "already dead" stuff, and worked my way back to the "living". I chose to kick-off my hospice experience with the "Newspaper Obituary Worksheet". It asked for things like her schooling, employment, hobbies, community activities, and so on. I looked at it thinking, 'Who would need a friggin' worksheet to write an obituary with?, I know all this!'

Then I realized, when 'it' happens, I might be so shaken that I may not be able to remember that she went to nursing school in McNary, Arizona, or that she volunteered for years with the hospital auxiliary in Yuma (Actually, even now I had to pause to recall that last one.). It has a place to list surviving loved ones. Can't leave anyone out. Mom was not a veteran, so I will leave that one blank. But where is asks for "Wars/Conflicts" I think I will put "cancer'. Yes, I can see this being useful.

Then there is the "Hospice… it's all about living" pamphlet. It explains the services provided by hospice. I didn't really know what they were, and honestly I didn't read it, but the counselor explained it to me, so I will explain it to you. Hospice provides comfort to the terminally ill. Free. They provide free pain medication, sedatives and whatever else one needs to cross over with as little pain as possible. They gave (lent) us an oxygen so mom can breath easier. They lent us a hospital bed so she can get up easier, a shower stool so she can bath easier, and even a portable toilet so she doesn't have to go far when she has to go. She has used them all, and yes, they have made life into death a lot easier, and cleaner. A nurse comes and visits her a few times a week. A social worker comes by to check on her condition (and mine) at least once a month.

I just now opened up the pamphlet that I just said I hadn't read, and yes it's all in there, plus a little more.
There is a pamphlet about what to do when the patient is too sick to make medical decisions for themselves, encouraging the patient to quickly get a 'durable power of attorney for medical care.' We had already done this before she went into the hospital. I can't tell you how important this is. Remember Terry Schiavo? I don't think anyone really wants to waste away as a mindless vegetable for decades while family members fight over keeping you alive with machines. Enough said. Hospice can help you avoid this.

OK, back to the handbook for death and dying. I saved one booklet for last, because it is so difficult to read.
When I pulled it out of the white folder while I was sitting next to my mom's hospital bed, I read the title out loud. I burst into tears. So did the counselor. It's a small light blue booklet with a very simple sketch of an old ship sailing off into the sea, nearly on the horizon.

"GONE FROM MY SIGHT," it read. The reality set in. Say your goodbyes, this is a one-way voyage, and it is Brenda's final voyage.
My mom is on the horizon sailing out of my sight. Forever.

I refused to read it. I thought the cover was really harsh. Throw it in my face, why don't ya!? I didn't even want to know what was inside. The counselor told me I should read it and the booklet was very helpful. Yeah, helpful to make me totally depressed. Thanks.

When we came home I left my Dying for Idiots folder on the table. I knew that little, mean blue book was inside, just waiting to throw my fragile emotions into a deep, dark pit of loathing and despair. But, curiosity got the best of me. I'm glad it did.

It is written by a woman named Barbara Karnes. In her words, it is a guideline for dying. I have since learned Karnes was a hospice nurse for nearly three decades, and during that time noticed patterns with people who were in the last few months, weeks, days and hours of dying. It is a morbid final 'to do' list, so when your loved one checks off another item, you know about what stage they are at in the process of death.

Karnes says in the little blue book that not everyone is the same, and some who are terminally ill will experience all of the symptoms, others none. Here are some of them:
One to three months prior to death:
Withdrawal - from visitors and even loved ones.
Food - Not as much.
Sleep - More than before.

One to two weeks prior to death:
Disorientation - lots of sleep, confusion.
Physical Changes - lower blood pressure, fluctuating body temperature, changes in skin color, increased\decreased respiration.

One to two days to hours prior to death:
Intensity in aforementioned signs.
Surge of energy - talking, even eating again - or no activity at all. Congestion.
Blotchy skin.
Glassy eyes.

Minutes prior to death:
Fish out of water breathing
Cannot be awakened

It has been nearly three months since I have ready the scary, evil, little blue book that made me cry by my mom's bedside.
She is hovering within the months to weeks. I look for the signs. I see some, not others. Without this book I may not know what I am looking for. She has had a few fevers and severe pains where I though she could die (I will get into this later), but she recovered quickly. Still, she is checking off her list.
This week she has been sleeping a lot more. Sleeping like cat, about 20 hours a day. Check.
She doesn't want to go to Target or the supermarket and roll around in the motorized cart. She doesn't want to go anywhere. Check. She doesn't want any visitors. She has fluctuating temperatures. Check. Check.
But, she is eating just fine, reading her novels and frequently going outside to smoke (like it matters now).
She just went back to bed right now. Again. But according to my Dying for Idiots guide, at least for today, I think (I hope) my mom will be here tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People deserve a few more tomorrows. I'd throw the Idiot's Guide at a wall. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all Emily, please know that you are DEFINITELY not alone. I was able to be my Mothers caregiver in the final two years of her life. My Mother was diagnosed with stage IV breast and lung cancer. After my Mother went thru two surgeries, and her chemo was unsuccessful, my brother and I made a decision to alternate caring for her. He lived several states away in Texas, and I lived in Nevada, she in California. We were fortunate enough to both have great employers that allowed us to take off extensive amounts of time and keep our jobs! Thank goodness for FMLA!! We would take turns staying with her for 3-4 weeks at a time. We were trying to do everything we could to keep her out of a nursing home. Trying to keep this schedule became increasingly difficult. We were both trying to manage two households in two different states. My husband and I made the decision to sell our home, leave our jobs, children, grandchildren and our lives in Nevada to move in with Mom on a full time basis. I know this decision is not for everyone, but I will NEVER regret doing it. Little did I know how much of a full time job this was going to be.... 24/7, with no vacation, no sick leave, no scheduled breaks, no bonuses, and no 401K plan!!
    Okay I lied (a little)... there were some bonuses...whenever Mom had a good day and things went smoothly, this was a true bonus!

    My Mother was also put on Hospice care when it was clear that there was nothing more the Doctors could do for her. Hospice was a Godsend!! When my Mother first came home from the hospital, she was living on the sofa in the living room (because she refused to be put in a bedroom where she might miss something!). Trying to change an adults diapers while laying on the sofa was the worst! We were so grateful when Hospice provided an electric hospital bed, diapers, oxygen, wheelchair, etc.... everything needed to make her daily care easier.

    I am also VERY familiar with the Hospice "little blue book". My brother and I had completely different opinions of this book. He "threatened" to throw it out the window on several occasions, stating he was tired of looking for the signs of dying. I on the other hand, found it fascinating and relied on it constantly.
    My Mother also went thru many of the phases listed in the "little blue book". From sleeping most of the time, complete loss of appetite, confusion, picking at herself and her clothing, and talking to people that had passed before her. In hind sight, it is amazing how right on the "little blue book" is! About six months before she passed away she would have periods where she would wake up one day and be completely confused and muttering all kinds of nonsense that didn't make any sense. This would go on for about two days, and then she would wake up and be completely lucid until the next episode. When she had these periods of confusion, she would ask me crazy questions with a devious look on her face, and it was hard to answer her seriously! It was almost as if she were "testing" me to see how I would respond, and sometimes she would get angry with my answers. I honestly wondered if she was putting me on and playing some kind of mind game with me!! I kept a journal during this time of the things she was saying because I wanted to be able to remember everything later on. It will be almost three years since she has passed and I still haven't been able to bring myself to read this journal.
    There is so much more to write about and I will add more later.
    Its a long, hard road for both the caregiver and the patient, but I know you will both benefit greatly from it.
    Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nancy.

    You gave up so much, but I understand. We do it out of love. We hope someone would (will) do the same for us. It seems my mom has not advanced to some of the stages your mom went through, yet.

    Just curious, was she on meds? My mom gets a bit confused sometimes, but I think the meds are in part to blame.

    I like how you used the term 'episode.' I have been calling it 'crashing', but mom overheard me say it and got upset, so I needed a new word to describe the days when her health fades. Now, 'episode' it is (unless she says otherwise).

    I think she is coming out of a small episode. She ate solid food today for the first time in a few days - but as you can see by the pics, she still was able to go to the store - so it wasn't really that bad. I feel like she pulled herself out of it.

    I really want to hear more of your story. It does help.

    PS - I guess this is my journal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, my Mother was on meds also. When the hospice nurse suggested she begin taking morphine for the pain, my Mother had a fit!! She said she was not about to get "hooked" on narcotics! But she certainly grew to like it!! LOL She would call out from her hospital bed, "more morphine, more morphine"!! She kept a close eye on her prescription to make sure we reordered it when the supply got low! I really don't think the meds caused my Mother's "crazy" episodes, because she was on them long before the episodes began. The hospice nurse suggested it could be the cancer spreading to her brain...but who really knows for sure.
    She also took anxiety meds and had a lot of breathing problems that required using a nebulizer often. And the dreaded bed sores!! Thats a whole other subject, and something I hope you never have to deal with.
    We had some really exciting moments when we would wheel her outside to smoke (she refused to give up at this point, and who can blame her?)...she would light up even before we could get the oxygen off her face!! We would tell her that she was going to blow herself up, and she would say "well, that might not be such a bad thing". She had a great sense of humor all the way thru her illness.
    You are right Emily, that we do what we do out of love. Luckily I have always had a very close relationship with my Mother. It makes me wonder all the time which one of my kids will take care of me when the time comes... Thats why I'm trying to be "extra" nice to them now!! LOL
    Its great that your Mother is still getting out of the house, thats a great sign! My Mother became completely bedridden during the last 5 months. When I began taking care of her, she was able to get around with a walker, then eventually she was in a wheelchair, but still able to use the bathroom with help. As her cancer progressed and her health declined, she was resigned to a bedside comode. I slept on the couch every night to be near her and to help her use the comode during the night. She said she hated to wake me in the middle of the night, but I told her "this is the reason I sleep on the couch...to be here for you". She started exercising her independence and began standing up from her bed during the night and was able to turn and place herself on the comode and get back into bed by herself without waking me. She was SOOOO proud of herself for this accomplishment! And it meant so much to her. But unfortunately one night while I was asleep, she became disoriented and made a wrong move and I heard her yell and woke just in time to see her "flying" towards to me from across the room! She took a terrible fall which confined her to the bed. She was so angry with herself.

    More to follow....

    ReplyDelete